This is our case study No 4 and in this study case we are going to discuss about how to diagnose Nutritional anaemia due to blood loss in the women likely iron deficiency anemia. Medical students should research about case study because this is the best practice of learning and understanding. This wsebsite pathologyegg.com is created for pathologist students wo they can easily understand and get data easily.
You also can medical books also.
Nutritional anaemia Case Scenario:
A 26 years old female daily wager presented with progressive pallor, malaise and dyspnoea for 4 weeks. She has history of 2 abortions in the last six months and heavy and irregular bleeding of menstrual for the same duration. After analysing, she has no significant lymphadenopathy or organomegaly.
Clinical Correlation :
Presence of pallor, malaise and dyspnoea are systemic features of anemia in this young woman who has a history of blood loss from repeated abortions followed by menorrhagia. Anemia due to blood loss and nutritional deficiency are the most common causes of anemia in women of reproductive age, especially those of low socioeconomic status.
Nutritional anaemia due to blood loss, likely iron deficiency anaemia
here we know how to investigate HIV infection with opportunistic infections, disseminated tuberculosis, with possibly tuberculous meningitis (TBM) probable diagnosis.
- CBC (haemoglobin, counts including reticulocyte count, indices), ESR, PCV, blood smear for type of anaemia.
- Urine examination (albumin, glucose, microscopy).
- Biochemical estimation: Renal function tests (urea, creatinine, BUN), liver function tests (bilirubin, ALT, AST, alkaline phosphatase, total proteins and AG ratio), blood glucose.
- X-ray chest.
- Ultrasound examination of abdomen.
- Serum estimation of iron, TIBC, ferritin, B12 and folate assay.
- Bone marrow examination for type of anaemia
These test are additional to diagnose Nutritional anaemia due to Blood Loss
You also check other Pathology articles here
FAQ about anaemia
What is Anemia or anaemia?
Anemia is a deficiency in the quantity or quality of red blood cells in your body. Red blood cells carry oxygen throughout the body through a particular protein called hemoglobin. Anemia means that the level of red blood cells or the level of hemoglobin is lower than normal.
How may typs of Anaemia?
Answer: There are 4 main types
- Aplastic anemia
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Sickle cell anemia
- Vitamin deficiency anemia
What are Symptoms of Anemia?
The most common symptom of anemia is fatigue. However other common symptoms include:
- pale skin
- a fast or irregular heartbeat
- difficulty breathing
- Chest pain